29 July 2011

Because, sometimes, men are just dumb.

A conversation with my beloved, just this afternoon -


Stephen: Honey, are you sure you want to go out tonight?

Me: ?? questioning face??

S: Because you look tired.  I mean, if you're too tired, then I'm not tied to it.  We can go see a movie another night.

Me: Wait, what are you saying?

S: Well, you just look really tired, and I know you've had a rough week with the kids, and you know, if you need to go to bed early you can do that instead.

ME:  (being slow) You mean I look bad?

S:  (starting to realize the mess he just stepped in) No!  I mean... well... you just look tired.

Me:  You said that already

S: Well, I'm just trying to be nice here, and we don't have to go out if you would rather sleep.

Me:  **stare**

S:  I mean, if you need sleep.  If you're tired.   Which it looks like you are.  With the bags under your eyes.  The circles under your eyes are really dark.  And your hair..  (finally notices my glaring eyes, behind my glasses...)  Well, I mean...

Me: I got us babysitters already.

S:  Well, we can cancel if we need to, right?  If you need some sleep...  I mean... (starts floundering with his hands)   you have ... bags...  dark circles...

Me: So, you are saying that I look so exceedingly awful that the one night I have prepared to have off from the children, with you, isn't worth it because it would be better for me to sleep and perhaps get my face in order?

S:  (finally realizing the extent of his asshattery) No, wait - that's not what I'm saying - I'M JUST TRYING TO BE NICE!  Never mind.  We'll do whatever you want.

Me:  Exactly.


Poor boy.  Trying to be nice, but not understanding that after a week of being a working from home single mommy 24/7, I really need a night out at the movies.  Even with my baggy eyes, and even if I fall asleep in the theater.  It's a good thing I love him, or I might have to punch him in the face.

2 comments:

  1. Well... the subtitle of your blog does say "...the adults are just tired." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I just stumbled upon your blog again and this is hilarious. Don't I know this story too well?!!!! (made raj read it, we both cracked up!) Hope you guys had a good date night after all :-)

    ReplyDelete